Here at Clarice Cliff pupils have the exciting opportunity to take part in Forest School.
This is a fantastic opportunity that helps children explore the outside world through a program of fun outdoor activities delivered by a trained Forest School Leader.
At Forest School the children will experience and explore their environment. Children are encouraged to develop their independence, improve their decision making skills, and raise their self-esteem through small achievable tasks and new learning opportunities. Children will also get to improve their motor skills by using a variety of tools.
Forest School takes place in either a designated area of school grounds or in the woodland area just outside of school. Sessions are run by Mr. Longstaff who is currently undertaking a Level 3 Qualification in Forest Schools.
The core values of our school are reflected in the Forest School ethos;
‘Forest School is based on a fundamental respect for children and young people and for their capacity to instigate, test and maintain curiosity in the world around them. It believes in children's right to play; the right to access the outdoors (and in particular a woodland environment); the right to access risk and the vibrant reality of the natural world; and the right to experience a healthy range of emotions, through all the challenges of social interaction, to build a resilience that will enable continued and creative engagement with their peers and their potential’
During Forest School sessions we aim to provide opportunities to;
- Learn and make choices and initiate their own learning
- Provide a safe and non-threatening environment in which children can take risks
- Help children understand, appreciate and care for the natural environment
- Develop practical life skills in an outdoor environment
- Promote self-esteem, confidence and a positive attitude to learning through small achievable tasks
- Develop social interactions and team working skills
- Enable participants to be independent, self-motivated and considerate
- Build self-esteem, confidence, independence and self-control