At Clarice Cliff primary School, we love reading and we hope that you do too!
Reading is so important for babies and children and is a great family activity!
Did you know that sharing stories, talking and singing every day helps your child’s development in lots of ways.
Reading and sharing stories can:
- help your child get to know sounds, words and language, and develop early literacy skills
- learn to value books and stories
- spark your child’s imagination and stimulate curiosity
- help your child’s brain, social skills and communication skills develop
- help your child learn the difference between ‘real’ and ‘make-believe’
- help your child understand change and new or frightening events, and also the strong emotions that can go along with them.
Sharing stories with your child doesn’t mean you have to read.
Just by looking at books with your child, you can be a great storyteller and a good model for using language and books. Your child will learn by watching you hold a book the right way and seeing how you move through the book by gently turning the pages.
Reading stories with children has benefits for grown-ups too. The special time you spend reading together promotes bonding and helps to build your relationship.
Here are some links to suggested reading lists where we are sure that you will find a great choice of books to inspire you ahead of your next reading journey!
KS1 - Year 1
KS1 - Year 2